For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Finally feeling better

Well, after a week and a half, I'm finally getting over the cold I've been struggling with - though my husband is starting to get it now, too. :-( I guess it was too much to hope that he'd miss out on it. Hopefully, it won't hit him as hard as it did me.

Being sick and stuck at home did give the girls and I a chance to finally watch all those dvd's we'd borrowed, though we did have to renew them for a second week to do it.

By the Pricking of My Thumbs - this Agatha Christie movie was quite good. We all enjoyed it, and Youngest ended up watching it 3 times.

Castaway - enjoyable, but nothing I'd want to see more than once. They did pretty well with it.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - we'll definitely be looking for more from this series. Very good.

Ring of Fire - I highly recommend this. Episodes 1-4 were filmed in the 70's, following the adventures of a pair of brothers as they explored - and eventually found a home in - the Indonesian islands. Some of the interesting things we learned was the Bogeymen were real. The Bogey were a people who lived on one of the islands, with the men leaving their woman and children behind for about 9 months of the year, trading or pirating. They were such ferocious pirates, European sailors coined the term Bogeymen as objects of fear. Turns out the main reason they left for so long was because the island they lived on couldn't provide enough for for everyone, so by leaving the women, children and a few men behind, they had enough food to provide for themselves, while the sailors lived off corn mush and whatever else they could supplement themselves with. Just one of many interesting things we learned.

The 5th episode takes place some 20 years later, shortly after one of the brothers has died. The remaining brother revisits some of the places they traveled to together, along with a group of other Europeans. We found it a lot less enjoyable than the old videos.

Plan 9 from Outer Space - words fail me. This was so incredibly bad! It was hilarious. Eldest was so inspired by it, she's since grabbed two more horrible old movies - The Thing from Out Space and The 7th Voyage of Sinbad.

Great entertainment! *L*

No comments: