For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Friday, August 15, 2008

Back to the library list

We've been rather lax with our library trips for that past couple of weeks - things would come up, and we just couldn't make it. Some things we were able to just renew, but most would end up in the drop off chute outside the library, on the way to somewhere else.

Even today, we ended up having some time constraints, but that didn't stop us from getting a good selection.

I've actually hung on to two books from the last trip we made. One is The Whole Soy Story, which I've finished and will be writing a review for on my other blog. The other is A Mediterranean Feast; The Story of the Birth of the Celebrated Cuisine of the Mediterranean, From the Merchants of Venice to the Barbary Corsairs, with More Than 500 Hundred Recipes.

What is it with these incredibly long sub-titles???

Youngest just picked one book for herself, again from The Enchanted World series, Seekers and Saviors. She also grabbed another Miss Marple dvd, At Bertram's Hotel.

Eldest got her usual eclectic variety. She chose:

The Life of Alfred Russel Wallace, The Heretic in Darwin's Court: Wallace and Darwin were contemporaries, and sometimes rivals, who had come up with the Theory of Evolution independently. Today, Wallace is largely forgotten. It should be interesting to learn more about him.

The Philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche: This was originally published in 1908 as part biography, part explanation of Nietzsche's ideas.

The Humboldt Current; Nineteenth-century Explorations and the Roots of American Environmentalism: Now this should make for an interesting comparison between early environmentalists and those of today.

Catholic Etiquette; What You Need to Know about Catholic Rites and Wrongs. You know, I was raised a Catholic, and had never thought there was such a thing as "Catholic" manners. It makes sense that there would be, though.

God; A Brief History - The Human Search for Eternal Truth. *snort* Yeah, brief. The book is only 2 inches thick... ;-) A cross-cultural, multi-religious examination of God. It looks to be a very interesting read.

The rest of her choices follow Eldest's interests in historical fashion, including Children's Costume in America 1607-1910, A Visual History of Costume - The Twentieth Century, The Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Costume and Fashion 1550-1920, and Chinese Clothing from the Cultural China Series.

Finally, she indulged her latest passion for old (or just unusual) movies, grabbing (originally released in 1916), Intolerance, The Glass Menagerie (starring Katherine Hepburn), Blood Tea & Red String (a stop-motion animation), Bela Lugosi 75th Anniversary Edition of Dracula, and Nosferatu; The Vampire & Phantom Der Nacht, a 1979 remake of the 1922 classic.

As for myself, I deliberately went to only 2 sections of the library before meeting the girls in the audio/visual section, and refused to stay there for long. So I didn't get as many books as I would have, if I'd allowed myself to indulge. LOL

I got some more crochet books, looking for more challenging projects.

Hooked on Style; Fabulous Fashions to Crochet: There's a lovely selection of items in here, though very few clothing items are patterned up to my size. I can make things for the kids, though.

Hip to Crochet; 23 Contemporary Projects for Today's Crocheter: I have to admit, whenever I see "contemporary" in the title of a craft book, I automatically expect very weird "experimental" designs in colour combinations that make my skin crawl. There is some of that in this books, but not as much as some others I've seen. *L* This is one I would buy, if I could find it in a book store (and if it was in budget...).

Loop d-Loop Crochet; More than 25 Novel Designs for Crocheters (and knitters taking up the hook): Quite the variety of projects in here! Ranging from accessories to hammocks, as well as children's clothes, a men's sweater that men might actually be willing to wear in public. It's mostly women's clothing, though, and some of the designs are rather daring, so put it mildly! At least with other crochet fashion books I've borrowed, the models wearing mesh and lace clothing had some sort of garment underneath. These models clearly don't! Well, they *are* wearing panties - that goodness! LOL

Next, I grabbed a new batch of cook books.

The Pioneer Cook; A Historical View of Canadian Prairie Food: It's always eye opening to read about what our pioneers ate and how they prepared their foods. A fascinating glimpse of their everyday lives.

The Food Journal of Lewis & Clark; Recipes for an Expedition: Part history book, part cook book. This one is right up my alley!

The Storm Gourmet; A guide to Creating Extraordinary Meals Without Electricity: When I saw the sub-title, I couldn't resist! Growing up, we frequently had power outages. This wasn't much of a hardship, as we still had the old cook stove to fall back on. Few people have those anymore, and this book is geared to them. This is more about preparing for emergencies, and how to weather them when they happen.

The Flavours of Canada; A Celebration of the Finest Regional Foods: A coast to coast exploration of Canadian cuisine. Not the territories, though. Ah, well. I can't have everything... ;-)

On the dvd front, I found some interesting titles - hopefully, the movies will be interesting as well. ;-)

Through the Eye of a Needle; Stories from an Indian Desert: I was actually looking in the "how to" section when I found this. It doesn't seem to be a how-to at all, but rather a history, which needle crafts often play a large, though unrecognized, part.

Carthage; A Journey Back in Time: a Lost Treasures of the Ancient World series we haven't seen yet.

Hadrian's Wall; Edge of the Empire: From the Lost Treasures of the Ancient World series.

Agatha Christie's Poirot; Collector's Set 2: One disc with three movies; The Cornish Mystery, Double Sin, and The Adventure of the Cheap Flat. With how well the Miss Marple movies are going over, I though Poirot might be worth looking into.

And finally, some music cd's...

Growing Pains: Mary J. Blige
Songlines: Top of the World - a CD of world music
The Silk Road: A musical Caravan - 2 cd set of music from Chine, Iran, Kazakhstan, etc. of the 13th century played by 21st century artists
Spin the Weaver's Song: Carla Sciaky - no clue what type of music this is. I actually got it because I liked the photo on the cover, and the weaving themed titles of the songs.

And that's our list for this week. :-D

No comments: