For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Double library list

We actually didn't go to the library last week, as we simply renewed our acquisitions from the previous 2 weeks. We've got another library day coming up, however, so I figured I'd better make up the list before we start returning these.

Books.

Sundays With Vlad Eldest enjoyed this one so much, she convinced Youngest to take it out, too. Now, they both love it.

Encyclopedia of Things that Never Were I've lost track of how many times we've taken this one out. Youngest took it out again, this time.

Wild About Herbs I'm working on a balcony herb garden, now that we have a south facing balcony and long hours of sunshine. In choosing my herb books, however, I select the ones that also have recipes for various herbal concoctions like shampoos, fragrances and medicinals as well as foods.

Waiter Rant I've been following Waiter Rant for a long time, so I had to snap up the book when I found it. I just finished it last night and really enjoyed it.

Good To Eat I took this one out again because I didn't finish it before I had to return it last time. Fascinating glimpse on how different cultures came to eat the foods they do.

Hooked On Style, Couture Crochet Workshop, Plus Size Crochet I've taken all three of these out before, but they're worth taking out again. What's fascinating is to look at the different sizings for clothing items. For example, Couture Crochet has a lovely top that goes to 4X - but the measurements for that 4X is barely a 1X in Plus Size Crochet, and wouldn't actually fit me! (I wear a 2X top most of the time, but I like my tops quite loose.) I wasn't too impressed with that, as I wanted to make that top for myself and I don't know that I'm up to adjusting the pattern.

Crochet with Bits and Pieces This was a new one, and it's hilarious. I can't believe some of the patterns in here. Quite a few would be right at home at What Not to Crochet! (warning - not all items featured at that link are safe for work or small children - people will crochet the strangest things!!!)

The Climate Diet: How You can cut carbon, cut costs and save the planet I try to read both sides of the argument. Really, I do. With this one, I barely got through the introduction without tossing it. Aside from the erroneous assumptions, it makes claims like I'll "save $1,600 a year on your energy bills." Since my energy bills have never been that high since we left the old house we were living in in Manitoba, that would but me into the negative. I don't think so... :-P

The Deniers: The world-renowned scientists who stood up against global warming hysteria, political persecution and fraud (and those who are too fearful to do so) This is the book that resulted from the National Post series.

The Really Inconvenient Truths: Seven environmental catastrophes Liberals don't want you to know about - because they helped cause them Still working on this one. Most of the topics are ones I was already aware of, though not with the background details the book provides. For example, I knew that estrogens from birth control bills were damaging fish reproductive systems, but I didn't realize that morning after pills and abortion pills were used so much that they were part of the problem, too.

Mass Extinctions and the Aftermath There have been many mass extinctions in the earth's history. This book tries to answer the questions about why and how they happened.

Roman Life: 100 B.C. to A.D. 200 Written as stories from the perspective of individuals of different levels of status in ancient Rome, based on real people. This is the sort of glimpse into ancient life I really enjoy!

Adventures in Unhistory: Conjectures on the factual foundations of several ancient legends Eldest chose this one and quite liked it.

21st Century Etiquette Eldest really liked this one, too, though many of the situations described are ones she's never encountered.

Bridezilla: True Tales from Etiquette Hell! If you like the site, you'll love the book.

McMinn's Color Atlas of Human Anatomy and The Johns Hopkins Atlas of Human Functional Anatomy Eldest has been using these mostly as art references. Not for the faint or heart or squeamish of belly.

Underwater to Get Out of the Rain: a love affair with the sea Another choice from Eldest, it seems to be almost a biography.

Human Remains: Dissection and its histories Another choice from Eldest that she found quite good.

DVDs

Eldest and Youngest have been working their way through these...

The Fall of the House of Usher
The Vanishing
13 Tzameti
Queen Kelly

They're mostly horror, thriller types. The girls both find these older movies to be much better than modern movies. Better story telling, quality, etc.

Sweeny Todd The girls found this one for me, knowing I was curious to see it. Wow! Talk about a lot of blood! Still, I'm glad we got it, if only to see Alan Rickman sing.

CDs

Some choices by Eldest...
Tool - Undertow, Lateralus and 10,000 Days A friend recommended Tool, so she found a whole bunch to take out. 10,000 Days has fantastic packaging. A flap with a built in pair of "glasses" lets you look at images in a booklet inside, rending them into 3D. Very cool.
Rezia - Protest the Hero
Greely Estates - Go West Young Man, Let the Evil Go East
Skeleton Key - Obtanium

I grabbed these other ones.

She Had a Taste For Music (soundtrack recordings)
The Shadows - The Final Tour
Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra - Miles of Styles
La Loungerie by Sharezade

When it comes to CDs, I often grab discs I've never heard of before. I might want to get some instrumentals, music from a particular country or culture, or a style. Usually, I get at least one or two enjoyable surprises. Not this time. Most of these sucked. *L* Actually, I did like a few pieces from The Shadows, but it's a live recording. After a while, the sounds of audiences screaming and shouting or introductions and patter begin to grate on me. I love live performances LIVE, not recorded.

Well, that's the list for the last while. Our "school year" will technically be over at the end of the week, after our facilitator visit, but we'll be keeping up our library visits. Actually, not much will change at all. LOL

Oh, that reminds me. I have to go through our receipts and send them on.

The girls are putting together portfolios for the facilitator. They're not quite sure what to include in them, but these library lists I've been putting online have come in handy! We're lucky to have a really great facilitator and always enjoy his visits. I know some hs'ing families aren't so fortunate!

No comments: