For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010

A good Monday

I hope everyone had a really great Easter. :-)

My husband was able to take today off, so it was a 4 day weekend for him.  Nice that he could do that.  Easter Monday is generally a quiet, just us, day.

The only downside I had over the weekend was that I was just a touch under the weather... Okay, maybe more than a touch.  Maybe I was having the menopausal cycle from hell that had me using a week's worth of TP in 2 days.  It made things a little bit uncomfortable. ;-)

It also left me feeling rather anemic, but today, I was feeling desperate to get out of the house and into the beautiful warm sunshine!  Eldest and I grabbed our cameras and headed into the valley to see how much I'd recovered, while Dh and Youngest went WoW'ing together.  Thanks to someone giving us an old 15" flatscreen monitor for free, we've been able to set up the old computer again.  It still needs some work, but Dh cleaned it out enough that it's functional again.  Since it's able to handle WoW, that means we can have 2 people playing at the same time.  Joy. :-P

While they were busily manipulating pixels, Eldest and I did a bit of hiking.  Some of the paths we used to take are closed due to erosion, but they're still being used.  We found a place where we could clamber down to the river's edge and get some photos.  Clambering up was a bit more difficult.  My feet were NOT enjoying it.  I keep trying to tell myself that I'm still not recovered, but I was really unhappy with how quickly I got out of breath, and how often I had to stop and rest.  This is the first walking trip I've made that wasn't a library trip (sidewalks only) or a mall walk since fall.  I wasn't impressed with myself.

Since my feet were very clear that clambering up and down river banks was not a good idea, we headed in the other direction where we could get part way up the valley without doing stairs, then between a combination of stairs and a complex with an escalator, eventually make our way up to street level.  While Eldest waited at the top of some stairs while I hobbled up, she happened to look up and see someone that looked like a friend of hers.  When we popped into the building so I could use their public washroom, she kept an eye out.  Sure enough, it was her friend, hanging out with a friend from school.  She went out to say hello, then we went our seperate ways.

After we continued our walk, we decided we needed to get something to drink, so we turned around to use a predestrian crossing, only to run into her friend again.  So we invited them along.  They hadn't been to a particular place we go to fairly regularly, so that's where we went.

Four hours later, we were still there!  It was quite a lot of fun, and we talked about all sorts of things.  At one point, when we were in the middle of a discussion of philosophy and various forms of government, a guy sitting behind Eldest turned around, excused himself, and joined our conversation. *L*  He couldn't help but overhear us, and found it really interesting.  He turned out to be a Marxist Kurd from Turkey, who tried to rail a bit against capitalism, and blame manufactured crisis for the war in Iraq.  It was a bit of a ramble, and I couldn't quite see what his point was meant to be at times, but it was interesting.  Then he commented on how glad he was to hear us discussing such things before going back to his laptop to wait for the woman who joined him later.

Interesting, the people you can randomly meet at cafe's. *L*

Eventually, I figured I'd better get home and see about supper, if necessary, and left Eldest to stay with her friends.  They were trying to decide where to go next when I left.  By the time I'd got home, Dh had called my cell phone (which I'd left with Eldest, since she didn't bring it along - we were just supposed to go hiking together! *L*), so he knew she wasn't with me already.  I was happy to discover Youngest had cooked supper, and they were already eating when I got there.  After I finished eating, I went to upload the photos I'd taken (far fewer than I'd expected) and check my email and so on.  I changed my facebook status, joking about how long I'd been out and that Eldest was still out.  Shortly after, I get a comment from her friend's mom, saying it's good to see her again.

Turns out, they'd gone to her house for pizza and a movie. *L*

Some time later, Eldest calls for a ride home.  Dh answers and says sure thing, but doesn't ask where she is.  That confused her for a bit, so she told him anyway.  He just said yeah, and that I'd be there soon (he doesn't know where they live).  Once she found out about the facebook thing, it all made so much more sense. *L*

When I had the chance, I left a quick wall message on her friend's mothers facebook, thanking her for having Eldest over.  Her daughter answered and there was a bit of banter about how we knew where she was, even though she hadn't told us, then joked that I was cyberstalking Eldest on facebook, and she doesn't even have a facebook page!  Which is pretty funny, when you think about it.  I have a couple of her friends on my list, and sometimes they find out about things from me before she's had a chance to tell them herself.  *L*

All in all, though, it was a grand day.  Beautiful weather (well... not for Eldest.  She doesn't like heat or sun. *L*), good friends, and a nice, relaxed time together.

Life is good.

No comments: