For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Monday, April 25, 2011

First Vote

Today I took advantage of the advance polling and voted.

Eldest, having turned 18 last month, was eager to vote for the first time.  Raider King turned 18 after the last election, so he hadn't voted yet, either.  Both of them needed to register, and I had no idea how to go about that, so we all trooped over to the polling station together.

It turned out to be very easy for them to register.  They just needed several ID.  I was in line with my voter registration card and the table they were at was next to me, so when it came time to get the address information, I just handed over my card.  Eldest went first and I was just a couple of people farther into the line when I got my card back.  Still close enough to hear at least a little of what was going on behind me.

Once Eldest was done with her registration, Raider King took his turn.  Shortly after, I hear the woman at the table saying "oh, you two are living in sin!  Good for you!"

I was left standing there, thinking, "did I just hear what I thought I heard??" LOL

I found out afterward that Raider King never heard her comment at all (he's lost his hearing aid. :-( ), and Eldest just laughed and mentioned that he was just crashed on our couch until he got his own place.  (As an aside - he's got his own place!  Much to my shock, he's found a 2 bdrm basement suite for only $500 a month!  He'll be moving there on May 1st.  We're pretty excited for him. :-D ) 

This is hardly the first time Eldest and Raider King have had people mistake them for a "couple."  You know, it'd be nice if people could be friends with each other without others assuming there's something romantic involved.  :-P

Once the paperwork was done, they were sent off to one of the two polling station lines.  I found it odd that they were sent to a different one than I was in.  Sure enough, they got to the front and were told they had to go into the other line!  Oops.

So now it's done.  Eldest and Raider King have cast their very first electoral votes!

No comments: