For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Friday, March 30, 2007

new library list

Eldest wasn't planning to take anything out at all after returning the books I'd picked up for her last time, but just couldn't resist this bunch.

Polymer; The Chameleon Clay: techniques to use polymer clay to imitate natural materials, such as jade, turquoise, and so on. Quite cool.

Making and Manipulating Marionettes: this one ties in very well with Eldest's interest in dollmaking.

Decorative Wirework; 50+ ideas for using wire to decorate you home, yourself or your favourite things: A very long title for a fairly short but very thorough book. Some very nice idea in there.

Making Creative Cloth Dolls: Some very freaky looking dolls in this one! LOL

As usual, I took out far more books than I should have. *L*

With Easter on the horizon and a new supply of wax resist dying supplies, I couldn't resist a couple of books on decorating eggs for Easter. It's easy enough to find Ukrainian designs, and I appreciate the artistry of what are usually highly geometric designs, I have a personal preference for the most fluid designs more usual to Poland. When I spotted Lithuanian Easter Eggs, the cover of which I recognized from a website I was looking at just this morning, I snapped it up. The designs are much the same as the Polish ones I like - which makes sense, since Poland and Lithuania were once a single country. I also found the Great Book of Egg Decorating, which has some interesting techniques as well as designs for other occasions other than Easter.

Shisha Mirror Embroidery; A Contemporary Approach: well, maybe not contemporary anymore. The colours and designs are quite dated, but it's the techniques I got this one for. Now, if I could just find some shisha mirrors. I have a skirt I'd like to use them on.

Beaded Dimensional Embroidery: Some very interesting projects in here. I don't imagine I'd actually make any of them, but there are definitely some ideas worth keeping in mind.

Cultural Accents; 60+ Fun, Fashion and Home Decor Projects: I got this one for the gorgeous ethnic patterns. I can easily see translating them into embroidery and or beading projects.

The Crafters Pattern Sourcebook; 1001 Classic Motifs from Around the World and Through the Ages: While there are a few colour photos in there, this book is predominantly patterns as line drawings, sorted by culture and ethnic background.

By Hand; 25 Beautiful Objects to Make in the American Folk Art Tradition: Some unusual modern interpretations of traditional crafts. I'm not too keen on the modern versions, but I like the background of the various styles.

Celtic Knots; Mastering the Traditional Patterns - a step by step guide: Very cool! Lots of blanks and very detailed instructions in making your own Celtic knot patterns.

That was my bunch. Youngest kept some of her previous library choices, so there were no new books for her. Her choices were more towards the movies we got. Both girls picked the 3 Brother Cadfael movies we got this time - The Virgin in the Ice, Monk's Hood and The Raven in the Foregate. Then I spotted a couple of I, Claudius tapes. I picked them up based on a recommendation on Kariba's blog. We've started to watch one already, and were surprised by a couple of familiar faces. Claudius is played by Derek Jacobi, the same actor who went on to play Brother Cadfael. Seeing Patrick Stewart, however - with hair! - was much more startling.

The series of dvds, Great Ideas of Philisophy, were back, so I grabbed a couple with Eldest in mind - Philiosophy of the Mind and Ethics; What is Right? Nothing like a bit of brain twisting to get the day going... :-)

We also grabbed a couple of music cd's. A disc I'd put on hold for Eldest finally came in, Prodigy's Experience: Expanded. I also spotted the soundtrack for Chicago on the way out and grabbed it. We've got the movie, but it'd be nice to listen to just the music. Mr. Cellophane, as sung by John C. Reilly, is just wonderful, as is Queen Latifah singing When You're Good to Mama. The Cd also includes a song that had been cut from the movie.

We're set for quite a while. :-D

No comments: