For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Oh, the horror!

Today, the girls and I experienced a great and terrible thing. I'd heard of such things before, but had never seen one. While taking part in some festivities, deciding to stop for a snack, we beheld an item on the menu I never thought to see.

Deep fried chocolate bars.

Now, one of the things I try to encourage the girls to do when we take in these events is to try new things.

Eldest insisted that this was something to try.

How could I say no?

It turns out that not only was the chocolate bar coated in batter and deep fried, but it was served with chocolate sauce and whipped cream!

Behold, the monstrosity!

Eldest thought the neon green slushie was a nice touch.

Upon finding someplace in the shade to sit and... enjoy? ... the concoction, I left the girls to take some photos.

When I came back, it was gone. If the container hadn't been cardboard, they probably would've licked it clean. They loved it!

Then, since I hadn't even tasted it, they insisted we get another one.

I had two bites.

Much to my amazement, it actually tasted good! There was something about the salty batter (the same as a corn dog, from what I could tell) and icky sweetness of the chocolate bar that just worked. *shudder* How could something so be so disgusting and so good at the same time? I still get the creeps, just thinking about it!

Who on earth even thought of putting a chocolate bar on a stick, coating it in batter, then deep frying it? Then adding the chocolate sauce and whipped cream, to boot!

Probably the same sort of person who thought of deep frying cheesecake, another surprisingly good combination that we tried last year, and I'll never try again. LOL At least that didn't have corn dog batter on it.

Just so long as I never see someone selling deep fried Coke. Because I'd have to try it.

Ah, the adventures of culinary experimentation!

No comments: