For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Saturday, June 30, 2007

new library list

A small list this time. We had plans for afterwards and I didn't want to be lugging around a lot of books.

Then Eldest goes and picks a book that weighs about 5 pounds, all on its own! *L*

Youngest didn't pick any books at all this time. Having finished and returned the Song of the Lioness series, she went looking for more books that continue the story, but couldn't find them. Since the library system lists these books only as "youth pocketbook," we can't even look up the titles to see if they're carried at all.

Eldest found more books on comic books to take out.
The Golden Age of DC Comics - 365 Days: This tome is the heavy one. Each two page spread has a comic (or portion of a comic book page) on the right with a short blurb about it on the facing page.
50 Great Comic Book Action Heroes: Plenty of graphic reproductions showing various comic book heroes with their histories.
Women in the Comics, Vol 3: Actually, I found this one while looking for something else and thought Eldest would get a laugh out of it. She ended up keeping it. This volume covers the years 1990 -2000. Should be interesting to find the earlier volumes. Pretty amazing to see how women were portrayed in comics over the years.

In my continued search for historical fiction to fill the gap left by having read all the Brother Cadfael books many times over, I found Murder Most Medieval; Noble Tales of Ignoble Demises. It's a collection of short stories from a variety of authors. I've finished it already. Some good, some not good, some... er... weird. Like the one with Robin Hood and Marian.
The Beautiful Beaded Home: This is a collection of beaded projects for decorating both inside and outside the home. Can't say I like all the projects - I mean, why would you bead your oven mitts? - but it inspires a few new ideas.

That's it for books, this time. We also picked up a couple of videos.

Octopussy (vhs): I had to grab this one for Dh, our resident Bond fan. We haven't seen that one in years! It's so hokey, by today's standards.
Hair (vhs): I've never seen this musical, and I decided it was time to rectify that. :-D
Why Wal*Mart Works and Why That Makes Some People Crazy (dvd): I know a bit of the story behind Walmart, and wanted to find out more. No question Sam Walton changed the face of retail business, and people are still screaming about it.
The Great Warming (dvd): Before there was Al Gore and his Inconvenient Truth, there was Alanis Morissette and Keanu Reeves, narrating this 3 disc, three episode series. The episodes are titled The Human Fingerprint, Age of Uncertainty and Our Children's Planet. I'm hoping to see at least some balance, but I really don't expect it, what with the very first line in the back is a myth. We're quite looking forward to seeing it.

No comments: