For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Yesterday's library list

I didn't manage to post this yesterday, so here it is now...

Youngest chose to keep what she's got for a bit longer, so she didn't add any more to the list - though she did end up choosing a couple of dvd's, which I'll list later.

Eldest is on an architectural bend, it seems...

Towers of Time, Ontario - a book of clock towers.
Venitian Architecture of the Early Renaissance - that one's.. well, fairly self explanatory, I suppose! *L*
English Cathedrals - also pretty self explanatory.
The Stones of Venice - this one is neat - not just interesting buildings, but floor mosaics, planters, stairs, statuary... all sorts of interesting features.

Then there's my list. With a bunch of the more serious books I still have to work my way through, I had to get myself some "fun" books for a bit of balance, many on a Christmas theme.

Keeping A Canadian Christmas with Don Narron & Catherine McKinnon - a cross country look at how Canada celebrates Christmas.
An Old Fashioned Christmas - the legends, carols, games, toys, food and drink that have had surrounded Christmas celebrations of the past. I'm liking a lot of the old time crafts and decorations.
Christmas Ideas for Families - a little bit of everything seems to be covered in here.
Victoria At Table with Family and Friends; Treasured Recipes of Memorable Meals - for a moment there, I thought the title referred to the city of Victoria (and if you've ever lived there, you know why that would make sense), but they mean the Victorian era. It's a combination of recipes with quotes, menus, tips and interesting bits of information to entertain in Victorian style.
Enduring Harvests; Native American Food and Festivals for Every Season - with brief descriptions of various seasonal celebrations, and a short blurb with every recipe. This looks to be a great read, as well as a source of great recipes. Besides. Everyone can use a good recipe for Hickory-Smoked Buffalo Jerky (my GOD that sounds good!!), Canadian Cree Bannock, or Aztec Chocolate Nut Fudge!
Feast; Why Humans Share Food - animals will fight each other for food, or drag it away to eat safely in private. Humans will seek out other humans to share their food. The books examines why, and some of the cultures that have developed around food.
Making Great Cheese; 30 Simple Recipes from Cheddar to Chevre - I'm in no position to actually make cheese, but gosh I love reading and dreaming about it!
The Squire's Tale; A Dame Frevisse Medieval Mystery - 'cause food isn't the *only* thing I read about for fun. *L*

It occurs to me, with all these food titles and cookbooks I take out, you probably think I'm some gourmet cook. Or at least an interesting one. I'm not. Sorry. I just like to read about it. That and there's a rather large disconnect between what I'd like to cook, and what I can afford to cook. *L* Well, that and a significant lack of space and equipment. Maybe that's why I like to read about it so much? ;-)

And now, on to the dvd's.

I went around the section, just grabbing a bunch of titles that looked interesting. A couple I wanted to take out for myself, while the rest I let the kids go over and choose. Usually, we just get 5 - the limit for dvd check outs per card in our library. Of the ones I picked, only 2 were rejected - one with hesitation, the other enthusiastically *L* - and the girls made a point of checking out their favorites on their own cards. :-D

Dance of the Warrior - a CBC documentary featuring over 20 dancers and dance troupes around the world, and their ritual war dances, both ancient and modern.
Edmonton Remembered - I was a bit surprised this one got picked. I thought the kids might find the concept a bit boring, but I guess they share at least some of my ideas of what's interesting. *L* I'd love it if this were part of a series - one on Winnipeg would really catch my attention.
Instructional Bellydance with Jullina, level 1 - I've been lax in my bellydancing. Maybe this one will get me going again. I'm really hoping it's an actual instructional video, and not another weight-loss video in disguise.
The Life of Mammals, part 2 - we just returned part one of this series. It's another I wasn't sure the kids would choose. When we finished watching the last one there were a few moments of silence followed by Youngest exclaiming, in a vaguely stunned voice, "there were... so... many... placentas..." LOL I guess it takes more than watching live births and placentas to turn my kids off.
Legacy: The Origins of Civilizations Disc 2; China: The Mandate of Heaven and Egypt: The Habit of Civilization - I didn't even notice the "disc 2" part when I grabbed this one (there's only 1 disc in the case). If it goes over well, we'll have to check out the rest of the series. I just thought China and Egypt would be interesting. The kids did too, it seems. :-D
The History Channel: The Aztec Empire - just because we like ancient civilizations.
Cirque du Soleil; La Nouba and Quidam - we've taken Quidam out before, but somehow Youngest never managed to watch it before we returned it. Eldest was wanting that one specifically. La Nouba seems to be one we've missed until now.

So we're going to have to make some effort to watch these in the next week. That's not usually all that easy for us. Most times, we forget we have a tv. We finally got a good dvd player, though, so maybe that'll help. It'll be nice to see movies on a player that doesn't stutter between the chapters. I'm real happy with it - I could finally watch the dvd photo album I made on tv! The old dvd player died a slow and painful death, so we were never able to watch in on there. The replacement was just a cheapie, and while we could watch commercially produced movies on it well enough, it just couldn't handle home produced discs. This time we got a much higher end machine and, best of all, it was free. Those grocery store points are worth something, after all!

Well, that's it for today.

No comments: