For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Saturday, December 01, 2007

Today's very short library day results

I think library day is going to be short for the rest of the year, actually. Either that, or we start bus hopping to another branch. There's construction going on in our usual branch, with the sound of jackhammers all day. It was there last week, though not as bad - at least from while on the first floor. Talking to one of the librarians before we left, I asked how much longer they'll have to put up with it, and was told probably to the end of the year! I was really feeling for them, I gotta tell ya. You could see the strain on their faces. While I was talking, another librarian slipped something onto the counter for her - it turned out to be a pair of ear plugs. Someone had gone and picked up ear plugs for everyone. I hope it helps!

We didn't return many books, having stocked up pretty well last time, though we did return all the dvd's. Youngest is down to one book, and she wants to finish that before she takes out more. Eldest did return almost all her books (she kept Creation, which she's finding very interesting), but only took out two.

Bad & Beautiful; Inside the Dazzling and Deadly World of Supermodels: This looks to be quite interesting - it's based on an undercover investigation by the author, described as an investigative writer, Ian Halperin.

European Architecture 1750-1890: This one is more descriptive than photographic, compared to the ones she took out before. There's enough for her to get more "notes" for her drawings.

I hadn't intended to pick anything up myself, but found three more anyways.

Shisha Mirror Embroidery; A Contemporary Approach: I've taken this one out before, but wanted to grab it for reference and ideas.

Romanian Point Lace: I have a set or craft books in storage that include directions for needle woven lace. I've been bouncing ideas around for edging on the set of decorations I need to finish, but couldn't remember. I thought this book might have what I was thinking of, but it turned out to be very different. It still has some techniques I wouldn't mind trying - but not for this year. ;-)

Ruskin Lace & Linen Work: This book turned out to have exactly what I was thinking of - except for the edging. The needle woven lace patterns are for filling cut out squares and bands, but when it came to the edges, there was only one type shown. Ah, well. I'll figure something out.

After that, I picked up some dvd's I had on hold, and we quickly grabbed a few more before making our escape from the jackhammers.

Death Star; Space detectives solve the most powerful mystery in the universe: This video, from NOVA, covers the search for the cause of intense gamma ray bursts first detected in 1967.

Deep Blue: Youngest perked up when she saw the baby penguin on the cover of this one. *L* This dvd showcases the underwater world of the Antarctic.

Live in the Undergrowth: From the BBC, it looks to centre around insect life. Eldest was smitten by the photograph of an insect on the cover.

The Blue Planet; Tidal Seas and Coasts: We enjoyed the last disc we got so much, we want to see the rest of the series.

Cirque du Soleil; Alegria and Corteo. I haven't seen Alegria in years, on tv. I loved the music for it. Corteo, we haven't seen yet at all.

That's it for this week. :-)

.

No comments: