For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Monday, September 22, 2008

Slow Cooker Beef Stew

We got a rather large slow cooker recently. I'd never had any experience with one before, but I knew so many people who swore by them, I've long wanted to get one. I ended up getting it for free, too, using the loyalty points at our local grocery store. Can't go wrong with that! :-D

I don't have any slow cooker recipes, save the ones that came with the cooker's instruction booklet. So I've been experimenting with recipes and suggestions in the booklet and modifying recipes I already use. Not that I'm a stickler for using recipes much in the first place. ;-)

This morning I used the cooker to make a stew while Youngest and I were out for most of the day. It worked so well, I thought I'd share it here.

(Note: both girls have expressed interest in cooking, so you'll probably be reading many more food and cooking related posts in the future.)

So here we have it. My version of Slow Cooker Beef Stew.
I'm sort of loose on the quantities - feel free to adjust them for the size of your cooker.

approx. 2 pounds stewing beef
5-6 potatoes (I used Russet, because that's what I had)
4 carrots
1 large parsnip
(normally, I'd include an onion, but I'd used my last onion up a couple of days ago. Include 1 yellow onion, if you have it handy. Also, most recipes for beef stew call for celery, but my kids don't like cooked celery, so I use the parsnip instead. Feel free to adjust veggies to your personal preference.)
approx. 1 1/2 cups beef stock
approx. 1/4 cup flour
salt, pepper, paprika, bay leaf, garlic granules (or fresh garlic)


First, get your stew meat out and plop it all into the crock pot.

Shoo cats out of kitchen.

Add the flour, salt (about 1/2 -1 tsp) and pepper (about 1/2 tsp).

Pry kitten off ankle and remove from kitchen.

Stir or toss the meat until evenly coated with the flour. Place crock into cooker and set aside.

Use spray bottle of water to chase kitten out of kitchen.

Peel and slice the parsnip and carrots, tossing them on top of the meat, spreading evenly. (This would be when you add the onion, chopped, if you have one. )

Note both cats sitting just outside the kitchen, hoping you drop some meat.

Peel and cube the potatoes, then add to pot, spreading evenly.

Sprinkle on paprika, garlic granules (or fresh chopped garlic) - I have no idea how much I used - and add bay leaf. Or use whatever herbs and spices you like best and have on hand.

Pour broth into the pot. (I just made some up from powdered bouillon.)

Put lid on crock and set the cooker to either HIGH 6 hours or LOW 10 hours. I used HIGH 6 hours today.

Note disdainful expressions on cats' faces as you leave the kitchen.

Head out for the day. Go to the park. Run errands. Do stuff with your kids. Relax in the knowledge that, by the time you get home, supper will be ready. Swoon at the heavenly smells filling your home when you get back.

After the slow cooker switches from cook to warm, uncover the stew. Remove the bay leaf. Thoroughly stir the stew. Note how the meat is so tender, it practically disintegrates.

Chase cats out of kitchen.

Chase hungry husband out of kitchen.

Shut off the cooker and leave the stirred stew to sit and cool down for a while.

After about 5 minutes, give up waiting for the stew to cool down and have the entire family dig in, putting up with burned lips and tongues from insanely hot potatoes.

Resolve that next time, you'll wait for the potatoes cool down more before eating. Laugh at yourself, because you know that'll never happen.

Goes great with buttered buns.

Note to self, once again, that getting a slow cooker was a really, really good idea.

Actually, we're now talking about getting a second, smaller, slow cooker. I found some slow cooker recipe books and some of the beverages sound amazing. I figure we can have one small slow cooker for drinks, and save the large one for meals. I'm already dreaming of waking up on cold winter mornings to the smell of hot spiced apple cider...

Mmmm.....

5 comments:

The Travelers Journal said...

Not only does this recipe sound good, but the directions were so funny! I love it, may I also include this in the family cookbook from you? The only other thing funny is my best friend let her autistic son but in his recipe for spagettii and her mom recipe for her dinner. I have been looking for more crookpot recipes too. BTW I just finished proof reading today and they are being sent in the first week of October with a hopeful delivery day of the first week of December. Everyone should have them by Christmas if all goes well!

The Travelers Journal said...

My Spiced Apple Cider Recipe (This is in the cookbook)
2 sticks cinnamon
1 cup orange juice
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tsp. whole cloves
1 gallon apple cider
2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. lemon peel
1 cup sugar
Mix all ingredients in a 6 quart slow cooker. Simmer on low 4-6 hours.

I made this and a Cappuccino Punch(not a slow cooker recipe) for our annual Christmas Eve party at our house and everyone really enjoyed it.

Kunoichi said...

Ohhh... great recipe! Thanks. :-D

Sure, go ahead and use the stew recipe.

Pretty exciting to see the cookbook coming to a close like that. :-D

The Travelers Journal said...

Thanks! I can not wait to get it mailed! Just today I thought I lost all 425 recipes, but it turns out our external hard drive was unplugged. I am glad I have a hard copy right now and a back up on the computer.

Kunoichi said...

Just today I thought I lost all 425 recipes

*gasp* Talk about a heart attack moment!!! Glad it turned out to be such a simple thing. LOL