For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Ahhh... so good!

This morning, the girls and I were really looking forward to seeing how the yogurt turned out. This is the first time we've made it with homo milk - we'd used 2% before (side note: skim milk is the only kind not to use for making yogurt).


The sides of the pot were still nice and toasty warm when I took it out of the oven. This is what it looked like when I took off the lid. Just a bit of liquid settled on the top.














The texture was so gorgeously thick and smooth. Beautiful! It was almost a shame to stir it all up.
















Time to split it up. Here I've got a large sieve in a bowl, lined with 4 layers of cheese cloth. How many layers depends on how thick the yogurt it. I've had yogurt turn out so thin, it went right through the 4 layers when I picked it up. Not an issue this time around!












Here's about half of the fresh yogurt. The other half went into a crock and into the fridge, except for the big bowlful Eldest mixed with a bit of honey for breakfast. She ate only a bit, then added some frozen mixed berries. They promptly froze the yogurt, so that's still sitting and thawing out as I write this.











Here, the cheese cloth is gathered up and tied for hanging. There's already a fair amount of liquid under the collander.















I've got some hooks under one of our cupboards that I usually use to hang the utensils I use most often. One of them is perfect for hanging the bag of yogurt, as well as being able to tuck the longer ends of the cheese cloth out of the way.

Right now, it's hanging over the bowl and will remain there for a couple of hours before I check it. I don't want it to be a spreadable consistency, though I've left it long enough to make an almost semi-soft cheese that crumbled. With how thick this yogurt turned out to be, I don't think it'll need long to reach the consistency I want.

No comments: