For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Glass

Today, Eldest and I had a wonderful outing.  We headed to the museum, me with camera in tow, her with sketchbook.  We got there early enough to get the weekend half price admission (our yearly pass expired back in June - will need to get another, I think).  We hung out around the lower level displays until the cafe opened, then went for an early lunch.  We each had a "Brain Wilson" sandwich - turkey and avocado - which was delicious.  They came with spiced pita chips that I loved, she hated, so I traded half my sandwich for her pita chips.  I also had a lovely bowl of beef vegetable soup.  Good, though I had to admit, my own is better. ;-)

After lunch, we parted ways.  There's one section in particular, featuring Aboriginal culture, that has been my photographic nemesis.  The displays are unusually dark, and tripods or monopods are not allowed anywhere in the museum.  I've been trying to get good photos of the exquisite examples of embroidery and beadwork - and failing, most of the time. *L*

The display runs in a clear progression.  It starts with the earliest artifacts of Native habitation in our region, then works its way through time until the first European contact.  The displays continue in linear time, with a mix of artifacts that were Native, Metis, European traders and missionairies, etc., through to modern times.

I had worked my way though the the first contact period and was well on my way to modern times when I was passed by two women.  They were about my own age (early 40's).  I couldn't help but hear the following comments...

1st woman: "... but it says glass beads. Where did they get glass from?"
2nd woman: "Lightning stikes in sand?"
both women start laughing as they continue walking.

While I doubt they meant it that way (I could be wrong, of course), they sounded incredibly condescending!  How could they have gone through almost the entire display, read the signs enough to see that these beads were glass, but not catch on that these pieces were made at a time of trade with Europeans?  Even if they hadn't read any of the signs at all, the artifacts alone were enough to show the progression of time and eventual European influences.  Strange.

Eldest, meanwhile, has discovered that sketching in a museum means being turned into a display.  Especially for little children.  There were special programs today aimed at the younger set, so there were lots of wee ones toddling about.  Some quite happily plopped themselves beside her with a bright and cheery "hi!"  Parents and kids alike simply started talking about her.

"She's drawing!"


"Yes, look.  She's drawn a deer... and a mountain goat... and a fish..."


Child and adult happily keep on going.

Quite adorable.

No comments: