For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Monday, December 21, 2009

Our Menu

The girls and I have worked out the menu plan for this year's Wigilia.  Traditional, it's not! LOL!

Here's what we've worked out.

Appetizer: Scallop Shumai
recipe from: The World in Bite Size

It's a combination of chopped fresh shrimp and whole scallops in won ton wrappers that are steamed.

Salad: Greek Salad
(no recipe)

I wanted either a soup or salad for the second course.  Usually, we have a soup, then a salad with the entree.  The soup we usually had would be something like a clam chowder, which I found too heavy.  So my restriction with a soup was that if we had one, it would be something light.  Instead, Eldest suggested she could make a Greek Salad.  She makes an excellent Greek Salad, so we're going with that. :-D

Entree:
Baked ham studded with whole cloves, roasted with apple juice.
Tourtierre (this year, our filling mix included elk!)
Garlic mashed potoatos with cheese (Youngest asked for this one. :-D )
Roasted Leeks & Apple

The roasted leeks is a recipe from The Philosopher's Kitchen and includes white wine, honey, marjoram and anise seed with the apple and leeks. 

Dessert: home made apple pie
I use a recipe modifed slightly from one in Treasury of Country Recipes that is incredible.  I'm not actually a big apple pie fan, but this one is an exception!  We'll be baking this in the next couple of days.  Eldest recommended we try it with a whipped cream with crushed candy canes in it.  Should be interesting. :-D

Drinks
hot drink: Spiced apple and cranberry juice
(no recipe)
cold drink: Cranberry and ginger ale punch
(no recipe)

Along with this, we're going to have a cheese plate, fruit, and little nibblies like olives, tiny pickles, pickled onions and whatever else I see that looks good.  Hmmm... maybe we can do a fondue?  The kids love that. :-D

I'll have to see what nice breads I can pick up, too.  The breads, lettuce and seafood won't be picked up until the last minute - Christmas Eve morning, if I can swing it that late.  Otherwise, the night before.

I figure by the time we finish the feast, it'll be midnight or so. *L*  It easily takes us several hours to finish it, as we take our time with each course.

The family is debating whether or not we're going to Midnight Mass this year.  We're not practising Catholics at all, but Midnight Mass is something special.  We've got a Catholic church just up the block from us now, but I have no idea what they're got scheduled, if anything.  We'll see how that works out.

Either way, I'm looking forward to our first Christmas in our new home!

No comments: