For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Friday, March 19, 2010

Dilemma update

Well, after my last post, I figured it'd be a good idea to follow up about the meeting I wrote about.  It's come and gone and...

...nothing was accomplished.  The issue was deferred, with status quo emphasized.  Which means the same people will post their links to scare stories and pet causes, and no one's allowed to point out if their topic is BS.  Discussions still aren't allowed.  People aren't supposed to post comments about the links but, of course, comments that agree with them are still being allowed.

Nothing has changed.

The main reason nothing has changed is that not enough people were at the meeting for any decisions to be made.  There never will be enough people, however, since there's no way even half the members of the list are going to show up for the meetings - even if there were room for that many people in the facilities used.

There are those that insist that this should only be discussed in person at the meetings - that face to face is more "civil."  Well, it may be more "civil," but it certainly isn't more open.  There was a new person to the group who tried to speak out.  I admired her courage.  Her voice was tremulous, and her hands were actually shaking.  In person discussions, especially when you've got new people around folks who've been part of the group for many years, can be very intimidating.  Even with topics that aren't contentious, many would be too uncomfortable to speak out - assuming they were giving the opportunity to in the first place.

One thing I did see at the meeting was the most amazing display of passive aggressive manipulation I've encountered in years.  It was truly impressive.  I doubt the people doing it realized what they were doing, but as my husband pointed out, they're far too intelligent not to.  I prefer to think that it was subconscious.  There are definite problems with having such a hot topic discussed only face to face.  It allows dominant personalities to take over the conversation, while the more timid folk never get a chance to speak at all. 

Not exactly a supportive atmosphere for new members who'd really like to talk about things.  The Old Guard just won't let them in.


I keep telling myself I should just quit, but I've got too many people resting their hopes on me speaking out, since I'm not intimidated by the Old Guard, and don't really care what they think of me.


I just wish I thought it would make a difference.  This group has such potential, with so many diverse and interesting people among its members.

No comments: