For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Almost ready!

Well, we're almost ready for our Wigilia!  The tourtierre are done.  We may pick up a few last minute gifts.  Otherwise, I've done my wrapping, though the girls have some to do.  The goose is thawing out right now, and the rest of the groceries needed will be picked up on the 23rd and the 24th will be spent preparing. 

In deciding on a menu this year, we've decided to cut things back a little, even though we've got a 5th person joining us this year.  We have a tendency to produce a huge menu that would feed an office party rather than just ourselves. *L*  We've dropped the cheese and soup courses completely.

This is what we've decided on for this year.

Appetizers:
Bacon and Cheddar devilled eggs
Fruit plate
Baguette

Salad:
Greek salad
Caesar salad
(we're doing two, as Youngest and I don't like some of the ingredients of a Greek salad, but Dh and Eldest love it)

Entree:
Roast goose, basted with orange juice and red wine (no stuffing)
Tourtierre
Cheesy mashed potatoes
Broccoli, Julia Child's style

Dessert:
Whatever tempts us at the bakery

Drinks:
Cranberry punch (cranberry juice, ginger ale and frozen berries)
Wine; probably a red, but whatever strikes our fancy


Yeah, we're "cheating" with some things.  The fruit plate will be something pre-made at the grocery store, and I'm quite content with their bakery offerings.  The rest won't require a lot of time or attention.  Even the goose won't need a lot, once it's in the oven.  The less time spent tending pots and pans, the better!  Eldest will be doing the salads and the broccoli.  We don't usually cook broccoli, but when I did, I usually either steamed or stir fried it.  After watching a Julia Child episode, Eldest was inspired to try out the method (first cooked covered in a small amount of water, then pan fried in garlic and butter).  It is SO incredibly good.

I think I'll need to take out those Julia Child dvd's again.  We could use some kitchen badassery.

No comments: