For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Friday, May 04, 2007

library list

The last couple of library trips, I put off writing them up - only to never get back to it. So this time, having just got home from the library, I'll write up the list NOW! *L* Though I'm going to have to snag the books the girls are already reading. They dove in about as fast as I could unpack the bag. :-D

I'll start with the audio/visual first, since they're at the top of the pile. *BG*

We picked up 3 music CD's I'd put on hold, all from Mediaeval Baebes. The Rose, Salva Nos and Underentide.

On video, we got:
World Wonders Beyond Time; 5000 Years of Magnificent Wonders: Includes the Taj Mahol, Stonehenge, Machu Pichu, Mount Rushmore and more. Should be very interesting.
I snagged a pair of dvd's from the Planet Earth series. One included The Solar Sea; The Sun - giving life or delivering destruction? Gifts from the Earth; How other planets predict Earth's future (I think that subtitle is a mistake, though) and Fate of the Earth; The dawn of a new age... or the twilight of our existence? The next one includes The Climate Puzzle; Earth's weather - unavoidable destiny or humankind's greatest miscalculation? and Tales from Other Worlds; How other planets predict Earth's future.
We also picked up Amadeus and another Brother Cadfael movie, The Potter's Field. Haven't seen either in a long time.

Youngest went all out on her comic books today. I won't even bother listing all seven titles, but this time she found not only a bunch of Calvin and Hobbes books, but threw in come Baby Blues and Farside books, too (Gary Larson is a genius!).

Eldest picked out a couple of comic books as well - a Foxtrot and a Dilbert, which I'm sure Dh will be enjoying as well. He's a huge fan of both. She also chose:
Decorative Beaded Purses: I've made beaded purses (also called amulet bags, though I like to call them treasure bags. :-D) for both girls and Eldest has recently rediscovered hers. She's since done a design for a bag she's asked me to do in peyote stitch, then she'll finish with the strap and fringes. This book has a wealth of ideas. I've actually taken it out for myself quite a long time ago, and how it's Eldest's turn. :-)
Stringing Style; 50+ Fresh Bead Designs for Jewelry: some really nice ideas from this one.
Fabulous Jewelry from Found Objects; Creative Projects, Simple Techniques: What caught my eye about this one was the cover photo of a collar type necklace - made of cocktail toothpicks! It's really quite lovely. I showed it to Eldest, and she snagged it. Some of the ideas in it are just plain weird, but it'll be fun to check out.
The Book of Beads; A practical and Inspirational Guide to Beads and Jewelry Making: Excellent book! Absolutely beautiful and inspiring.
Polymer Clay Extravaganza; 21 projects including memory crafts, paper crafts, home decor & more: Lots of techniques and useful ideas in this one.
Creative Stamping in Polymer Clay: a lot of very lovely and unique techniques in this one. It's making me pine for my stamp collection (sitting in a box in storage, of course... )

And finally, my list. *L*
The Villa; From Ancient to Modern: Glorious photos of villas around the world, plus floor plans and maps of the grounds. I love the villa concept.
Living Homes; Sustainable Architecture and Design: spotlighting home types that include adobe, straw bale, rammed earth and more. Wonderful photography showcasing examples of each type.
Complete Beading; Jewelry and Accessories: an idea book for me, though I'm sure the girls will get a lot out of it, too.
Ninja Shadowhand; The Art of the Invisibility: someone had abandoned this and another book in amongst the craft books. I couldn't resist! *L*
The Fifth Cadfael Omnibus; includes The Rose Rent, The Hermit of Eyton Forest and The Confessions of Brother Haluin. The movies we've been renting aren't quite enough for me. *L* That, and there's so few of them. Of these three titles, two aren't available on video at all. Which is good. The series is very enjoyable, but they really don't hold a candle to the books.

And now... time to enjoy our new acquisitions for a while before I have to start on supper.

*contented sigh*

No comments: