For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Thursday, July 26, 2007

belated library list

I've actually missed a library trip altogether, too. *L*

This week, the kids didn't come with me at all. I needed to return some dvd's to avoid late fees, but dropped off a whole bunch of books we were done with in the process. I did manage to come back with less than I'd left with... but only through determined effort to stop looking and leave. *L* Me and libraries are a dangerous combination. I don't know how I can expect to read all the books we take out!

I had some cd's waiting for me this time. Three from the Arrogant Worms; Live Bait, Dirt and Toast. I've already got a 4th one waiting for me, too, but that will have to wait a bit longer.

For pure entertainment, I found the following:

The Widow's Tale and The Hunter's Tale, both part of the Dame Frevisse Medieval Mystery series.

The Faithful Dead, from the Hawkenly Mystery series. Of the various medieval period fictions I've been searching out, these two series are the ones I prefer so far. They don't match my enjoyment for the Cadfael series, but they're a lot closer than others. It's amazing how many of these center around either nuns of monks. Maybe I just haven't found them yet, but so far I've only seen one series that has a non-religious main character.

teany book; stories, food, romance, cartoons, and of course, tea: This is a book about the vegetarian tea shop called teany. I've never heard of the place before, but after glancing through a few pages, I just couldn't resist. Just as an example, this is how the author and co-owner starts the first chapter.

Chapter 1: Comrade Moby's Revisionist Prehistory of Teany
This chapter is, as the chapter title might suggest, my historical description of the facts and circumstances (loosely and subjectively presented) that led up to the opening of teany. The history ends with teany's opening night, because teany's history since then has been interesting but a bit tautological. And yes, tautological is a fantastic word, and I tend to repeat myself a lot so it's a good word for my friends to know so that they can sound erudite when they make fun of me for repeating myself ad nauseam.

With that sort of humour, how could I resist? *L*

On a more serious note, I found these:

Meltdown; The Predictable Distortion of Global Warming by Scientists, Politicians and the Media. I hadn't realized it at first, but I've actually been reading the author's climate blog for a while now. Patrick J. Michaels is also co-author of The Satanic Gases, which I'm still working on.

Taken by Storm: The Troubled Science, Policy and Politics of Global Warming: Eldest has already started on this one, and it finding quite interesting.

Back to the just for fun side of things, I also got the dvd Serenity for dh. I think this is one we're going to have to buy, eventually. *L*

No comments: