For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

I'm BAAAaaaacckk... ;-)

It's been a long time since I've posted. We're heading out after lunch, so I figured I'd take a moment to post now.

I haven't been posting our library lists lately - mostly because we've been sort of skipping them. On the 25th, we were doing some cooking for a potluck Robbie Burns supper, so I only took the time to run out and drop off pretty much everything we had. This past week, I decided we'd go to a different library for a change. Now that we've got a car again, that's actually practical. That and I didn't feel like paying $6 to park downtown for a couple of hours. ;-)

I'd had high hopes for this branch. I'd been told that it was a new one, and quite good. It was a lot smaller than I expected. With a lot less books, too. They did have a wonderful large lounge area, complete with fireplace and rocking chairs as well as couches and armchairs. There was a play area in the children's section and another small lounge in the youth section. Throw in the work area for the staff at the entrance, and there wasn't much room left for bookshelves.

The sections seemed completely mixed up, too. With only a handful of books in many sections, it wasn't unusual to find 3 or 4 sections in a single area. The dvd's and vhs were mixed in with the books, too. They did have a decent cookbook and craft area, and their fiction was pretty full. Youngest was happy to find the comic digest section. We ended up taking out 4 Dilberts and 4 Garfield compilations. There were a few useful finds. I grabbed Stage Costumes, with instructions on how to make period costumes that will come in handy for the next Medieval Day. I want to make a costume for myself, now that the girls have their cotehardies.

Among the other books we grabbed, I included Foolproof Chinese Cooking. With Chinese New Year coming up, I want to try some Chinese cooking. Eldest has been craving stir fries lately, too - making them, not just eating them. They've been successful enough that I'm thinking we need to invest in a wok. :-D

Well, time to drag the kids out of the apartment for a bit. ;-D

1 comment:

The Travelers Journal said...

I used to love cooking in a wok! Since kids I hardly ever use it. Older son would at least try it, but younger son wouldn't. I love chinese veggies and how quickly a dinner can be put together.