For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Thursday, November 27, 2008

First Day of Christmas

Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends in the US. I hope you all had a wonderful day of it. :-)

It turns out I got my dates mixed up. I thought today, the 27th, was the Feast of St. Catherine, which we mark as the first day of our Christmas season. Some Acadian families traditionally make their Tire (pull toffee) on this day. Except, as I started to write this post and went looking back at older posts, I discovered St. Catherine's Day is actually on the 25th.

Oh, well. We celebrated it today. Not with making Tire, which no one felt up to making, but with a slightly fancier supper with candles and such.

We also put up our tree today. We didn't decorate it. It's just up. With our new kitten (who's almost old enough to be called a cat), we wanted a bit of time to train her NOT to go into the tree, using the spray bottle method. Not something we want to do with strings of lights on the tree!

So far, so good. She started investigating the tree once and got sprayed. When she started to look like she was heading for it again later, Youngest picked up the spray bottle, and that was enough for the kitten to run away. Several hours later, she seemed overly interested in it again but ran off when Dh picked up the spray bottle. He ended up leaving the spray bottle under the tree - and the kitten hasn't shown an interest in it since! LOL

We'll give it a couple more days, then decorate.

No comments: