For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Friday, March 27, 2009

A lovely time... (plus library list)

*sigh*

That sound you hear is the sound of peace, comfort and satisfaction. I've just finished having lunch with the girls, which as a sort of mini-afternoon tea.

The tea is a new one we're trying - English Toffee; a very nice dessert tea. We also tried some Double Devon cream. This brand, in fact. I've been wanting to try clotted cream, which this apparently isn't, for years, but haven't been able to find it. Which is fine. This stuff is more than satisfying.

Oh, gosh. I've just browsed that site a bit. I'm in love!!! All sorts of lovely stuff!

Where was I? Oh, right... lunch. LOL

We also had some French bread - we didn't have any scones, so we made do ;-) - with raspberry spread. Actually, the girls had the raspberry spread and double cream on their bread, I just had the cream. I can't stand any types of fruit jams, spreads or jellies. Even though it was sugar free, I found it too sweet, and the texture of any of these gives me the willies. The rest of the family enjoys them, though, so I've started to buy it regularly. The girls really liked it with the cream on their bread.

We also had bowls of fresh strawberries and red grapes, sprinkled with a bit of sugar and drizzled with the double cream. It was glorious!

What a lovely way to spend some time with the kids. Before I crack the whip and they do the dishes. ;-)

While they're doing their chores, here's our library list from yesterday. We didn't return much from our last trip, and renewed most of the dvd's, since we never got a chance to watch all of them. We don't watch tv during the day at all, and in the evening, it just doesn't seem to work out.

First off, I'll list my stuff.

The Deniers; The world-renowned scientists who stood up against global warming hysteria, political persecution and fraud* (*And those who are too fearful to do so.) Gotta love those really long sub titles. With a footnote, even. *L* I was pretty excited to find this new acquisition on the library shelf. I've read excerpts from the book and interviews by the author and had been very interested in reading it.

Facts, Not Fear; Teaching Children about the Environment - Canadian Edition. I've borrowed this one before and grabbed it again to reacquire sources for some data I was looking for.

The Really Inconvenient Truths; Seven Environmental Catastrophes Liberals Don't Want You to Know About - Because The Helped Create Them. Nice to see a book that dares to actually talk about this.

Consuming Passions; Food in the Age of Anxiety: Not sure about this one - it looks to be an examination of our relationships with food as much from a biological as a societal perspective.

The Little House Cookbook; Frontier Foods from Laura Ingalls Wilder's Classic Stories: A friend of mine has this books and I'd had a chance to glance through it. I found it interesting enough to grab a copy for a more in depth look. :-D

Decorating Eggs; Exquisite Designs with Wax & Dye: I grabbed this for design ideas for some Easter paper cutting projects I'm working on right now.

Holidays '92; Crochet, Cross-Stitch, Knitting and More; A New Year-Long Collection: I'd done some searches for crochet pattern books. I was a bit disappointed when I actually saw the book, though. The patterns are pretty lame. Ah, well.

Shisha Mirros Embroidery; A contemporary Approach: Another repeat loan for me. Looking for more design inspiration.

The Food and Cooking of Poland; Traditions - ingredients - tastes - techniques - over 60 classic recipes. Have you noticed that there are hundreds of holiday themed cookbooks for Christmas, Thanksgiving, Independence Day, Passover, even Halloween - but virtually none for Easter? The best I've been able to find are books with sections on Easter, and usually in Polish cookbooks. As someone who grew up with Easter being as big a deal as Christmas, I find this odd. So I borrow Polish cookbooks, instead. ;-)

And now for the girls' selections.

A Tribble's Guide to Space; How to Get to Space and What to do When You're There. The author's name is Alan Tribble, and I love how the title plays on his name. :-D Eldest picked this one.

Full House; The Spread of Excellence from Plato to Darwin. Another choice from Eldest, who's been doing quite a bit of research on the various theories of evolution. She picked this one because the author's name, Stephen Jay Gould, was familiar to her, but she been wracking her brains on just where she heard of him before.

False Prophets; Fraud and Error in Science and Medicine. Another area of interest for Eldest. With so many people banking on the infallibility of science and scientists, I think it's good to know just how fallible the field and the people in it really are.

Words You Don't Want ot Hear During Your Annual Performance Review and Dilbert Gives You the Business: Youngest hasn't returned her previous books yet, but just had to add a couple of Dilbert books to her stack. ;-D

Now - on to the dvds. :-D

Two Fat Ladies, seasons 3 and 4. I just had to put these ones on hold after not being able to find any in our last trip. This show is hilarious.

The Last Man on Earth. This 1964 Vincent Price movie is based on the same books as the new I Am Legend and, from the looks of it, a much better version. But then, it's got Vincent Price. You just can't get better than Vincent Price. Sorry, Will Smith. You're good, but not that good. ;-)

In Bruges; Shoot First. Sightsee Later. I have no clue what this is about. Never heard of it until Eldest found it. A comedy involving hitmen and mob bosses.

Cape Fear: This would be the Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum version of from 1962, not the 1991 version.

The Big Clock: You may have noticed a theme here - my kids prefer old movies over new ones. This one goes back to 1948.

Broken Blossoms
: Speaking of which, this one goes back even farther, to 1919. Eldest had borrowed it before and regretted not watching it a second time before having to return it, so she put it on hold to see it again.

Solaris: At 1972, this one is positively modern! Okay, not as modern as The Bruges, but still pretty modern for the girls' choices. ;-) It sounds positively campy - I look forward to it!

No comments: