For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Thursday, June 03, 2010

On the go

I've been horribly lax in posting on this blog, though I've managed to keep up a bit better on my companion blog (see link below title).  Aside from being on the go a lot more than I expected, I've been having a difficult time sitting down and writing.  Too many distractions.  Which would be why I'm writing this at almost 1 am.

Some of the running around I've been quite happy to do.  Dh finally went to his first physio.  Now I just have to keep nagging at him to book new sessions, and actually make it to them.  Just the one treatment he's had so far made a big difference.  Add in the stretches/exercises he's been doing at home, and he's been able to put away his cane pretty much from the get-go.  I did end up driving him home from work a couple of times, but not lately.  At least not because of his back.  The whole thing have brought a notable change in him.  Clearly, the pain has diminished.  His temperament has improved, and he just seems happier and able to tolerate things he couldn't before.  Almost.  There is that one person at work that's been making life hell lately, but then, she's been having that effect on everyone else at his office, too. :-P

As for me, I finally went for my 6 month follow up ultrasound from some tests I had about 9 1/2 months ago. *L*  Because today was also library day, I ended up dropping the girls off on the way, since I had no idea who long it would take.  This way they could return things, pick up their holds, grab some new stuff, have a sit down at the coffee shop, do some wandering if they wanted to, and even walk home on their own if I ended up taking a really long time.

After dropping them off and driving to my appointment, I realized I forgot my project bag.  No crochet to keep my hands busy!  I was early, though, and the medical centre just happens to be next to a rather large and well stocked yarn shop, which I would have to walk past after parking anyhow.  I dashed in and picked up a hook and a small ball of on-sale yarn, then continued to the medical centre.  After letting them know I was there, I sat down and took out my stuff.  I tried to find the centre end of the yarn, but all I managed was to yank out the middle more and more.  I didn't want to deal with a yarn barf in the waiting room, so I grabbed the outside end and started winding a centre pull ball of yarn around the hook I'd just bought. *  As I worked, I overheard some people next to me, complaining about how long they'd been waiting, so I figured I had some time on my hands.

I didn't even wind half the ball before I got called in!  After being taken the the change room, I got the gown on and was just about to take the ball I was working on out of the bag, so I could sit and work on it some more, when I was called out again!


What I found really neat as I went in with the tech was that she actually remembered me from my last test!  How many hundreds of people must she have done tests on over the last 9 + months, and she still remembered me!  I was rather impressed.  I'm lucky if I can remember someones face five minutes after I've met them (I remember faces, and I remember names, but putting the two together is a bit harder for me. *L*)

I could see the screen while she was doing the ultrasound, and could see the area that's of concern as she highlighted it for the radiologist.  When the tech was done, she left me to see the radiologist to go over the images while I waited.  I actually spent more time waiting there than I did in the waiting room before my test.  It turns out nothing has really changed since last time, but since I mentioned there was tenderness in the area, the radiologist was considering whether or not to have me back again in 6 months.  Whatever she ends up recommending will be on the report that goes to my doctor.

I have to say, I've been really pleased with the folks at this medical centre.  Fast, efficient, personable, informative... just overall excellent care.

When I was done, I called up the kids (and THAT's the sort of thing we insisted Eldest carry a cell phone for...).  They'd had their time at the coffee shop and had headed over the the mall across the street and were in a book store.  I'm rather glad I was able to give them a ride home.  Eldest has been picking up books on things like Art Nouveau and art history - books that tend to be very large, and very heavy!

Youngest has been working on the Twilight books recently.  She's been taking notes as she reads them.  She had to return New Moon today, even though she wasn't finished, because it couldn't be renewed due to holds on it.  Later on, she asked me to go online put it on hold for her again.  The version she just returned had her number 3 on the holds list, but I noticed there was a large print version, too.  No holds on that one at all, so that's the one I put on hold for her.  It should be ready by tomorrow, since our branch has a copy in stock.  From the looks of it, she won't have to worry about not being able to renew it if she can't finish it in time.  I look forward to seeing her notes on this one.  She was rather appalled by the first book.  She can't stand the Bella character.  In the second book, however, the character is actually more likable.  The Jacob character is a lot better than the movie, too.  Eldest has promised to get Youngest a Team Jacob t-shirt now. *L*

The next little while is going to be rather busy.  I'm getting together with a group of people this weekend to visit a nursery, then go to someones back yard, where we're all going to plant containers for our gardens.  There's another more casual get together with the same group, and hopefully the girls will be able to join us.  Then there's a meeting with one of our local home school groups, committee meetings with our co-op, and a craft exchange somewhere in there, too.  Eldest wants to visit the museum again this weekend, too.  Probably on Saturday, since I've got the gardening thing on Sunday. 

You know, for someone who tries to avoid filling my calendar with too many things, I've been filling my calendar with an awful lot of things!




* To make a centre pull ball of yarn using a hook, tie the end of the yarn to the hook end, then wind the yarn into a ball around the handle.  After it's all wound, untie the yarn from the hook, remove the hook, and you're done.

No comments: