For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Learning new things...

Dh picked up a kit of beads and supplies for Youngest the other day. It was chosen for the beads, mostly, but the kit itself is for loomwork. Having never done it before, she and I learned how together, as I made a small bracelet for her.

Youngest chose the pattern and colours, and I was quite surprised by how quickly it worked up. The band itself is 6 inches long, plus the loop and toggle clasp. The finished bracelet is 7 1/2 inches.

The kit came with a few larger beads, and I used one of them to make the toggle bead, loosely covering it with rows of seed beads. I like this style of clasp.







I did make some changes from the instructions that came with the kit. They rely heavily on the use of glue on the knots to keep it together, while the excess threads are cut close. I really don't like to use glue, if I can avoid it, and definitely don't like to cut close to knots. Instead, I wove some of the excess back into the beads before trimming it. The exceptions were the two middle lengths of the band, which were used to make the loop and attach the toggle bead. I'd use one by itself first, then thread the second one through the same beads in the opposite direction, for extra strength.

Final say: I'm not a huge fan of loom or other square work - I prefer the look of peyote or brick, but there are definite advantages to square work. The square grid makes patterning easier, and the whole thing was quite easy and quick. Loomwork is also very strong, and a good way to make large pieces.

The only thing I would change is the order of the colours. I've got the two rainbow colours she'd chosen right next to each other, and I think I'd prefer to have kept them separated by the black and gold. Youngest likes it just the way it is, though, and that's all that matters.

Now it's time to help Youngest string the loom again for her turn. :-)

No comments: