For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Friday, April 06, 2007

more eggs - kraszanki, plus.

And now, eggs we can actually eat!

Another traditional method of coloring eggs for our basket is kraszanki.


The eggs are cooked together with yellow onion skins for about 45 minutes, or until they reach the colour depth desired. Since we don't usually have that many onion skins about the house, I pick mine up from the grocery store, gathering the loose skins that have already fallen off the onions that are for sale.





I've had these turn out a variety of shades, from relatively pale like these, to a deep, almost brown colour. I really like them.








Meanwhile, the girls dyed their own bunch of eggs using a basic grocery store kit. Of the dozen I cooked for them, I got 11 with uncracked shells, so they got 5 each. Here's Youngest's work so far.






The finished eggs. You can just see the alchemical symbol for mercury on one of Eldest's eggs. The egg by itself at the top was odd egg out, and I just dipped it half into the dye for a few moments, drying it between dips, before we dumped out the colors cleaned up.




Soon to come...

Dragons eggs.

No comments: