For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Friday, April 13, 2007

This weeks (and last) library list

With all the stuff we were going in preparation for Easter last week, I did manage a quick run to the library to return some movies (late *L*) and, having only 1/2 an hour before the bus came, I quickly grabbed a bunch of books.

What the Bleep do we Know; Discovering the Endless Possibilities for Altering your Everyday Reality: written by co-creators of the movie, I had this one put on hold for me, but still haven't had much chance to read it. Love the movie, though, so I figured I couldn't go too wrong with it.

The Wilderness Cookbooks; A Guide to Good Food on the Trail: not quite what I thought it was, I'm still finding it useful. The recipes are designed especially for camping, with lots of tips and suggestions for outdoor cooking.

Medieval Celebrations: this is the second time I've taken this one out. Medieval Days will be coming up fairly soon, and I'd like to have some authentic recipes and clothing patterns to work with. Also includes games, music, a mummers play, and everything you need to know to set up a Medieval feast.

The Art of Beadwork; Historic Inspiration, Contemporary Design: this is another repeated loan. Some very interesting patterns and methods here, including how to make beaded beads and beaded sculptures.

Beading for the Soul; Inspired designs from 23 contemporary artists: this one turned out to be a much better pick than I expected. I just quickly glanced through it and spotted design ideas that seems to be what Eldest is interested in. It turns out to be about spiritual beadwork. Some very interesting reading.

I also snagged a couple of Brother Cadfael movies, at the request of Youngest, including One Corpse Many, and The Holy Thief. Eldest now wants to read the books, too, but it looks like we'll have to put them on hold - I only found one copy on the shelf, and it was short the "prelude" book, telling how Cadfael ended up becoming a monk. A good book, but not what I'm after right now.

Now, on to today's list. Boy, did we over do it again today! LOL

The Myth & Magic of Embroidery: This is one of many books from Helen M. Stevens. She is a truly glorious artist, and I'm always stunned by the beauty and detail of her work. I own one of her books (in a box in storage, of course) and just love it. If I can only be half as good as she is, I would be happy! Her talent and skills are astounding!

Native Harvests; American Indian Wild Foods and Recipes and Gathering What the Great Nature Provided; Food Traditions of the Gitksan; I have long had an interest in "wild" food. The idea of being able to go into the bush and be able to find food is one I've long appreciated. Most books on the topic tend to be European, so finding ones specific to North America is always something exciting for me. Gathering isn't so much a recipe book as an instruction manual, including how to make and use an earth oven, drying and preserving, etc. Native Harvests is more like a typical recipe book, but also includes a great deal of information about various native foods as well.

The Healing Garden; A Natural Haven for Body, Senses and Spirit: while this book does include information on specific plants like so many other gardening books, this book is more about the different types of gardens, reasons for building them, as well as how to build different types of gardens. It includes formal gardens, romantic gardens, gardens for fragrance or colour - even a garden for the visually impaired. I'm looking forward to going through this and dreaming of when I'll actually have land to plant on.

Charlemagne's Tablecloth; A Piquant History of Feasting: an interesting look at feasts and banquets throughout history, as well as how and why people have held feasts.

If you've been reading my other blog, than you know my interests and some of my views about the environment and climate change (though I've fallen quite behind in posting on the subject). So when I happened upon a whole bunch of books on the subject, I snapped a few up.

Fact, Not Fear: Teaching Children About the Environment (Canadian Edition): This book deals with something that is starting to truly alarm me. With all the hype and hysteria about global warming and the environment, it's having a horrible effect on our children - increased stress, fears, nightmares, etc. Worse, our kids are being fed misinformation and outright lies (one example I'd read earlier included the re-writing of history) and being used by special interest groups to push an agenda. This book deals specifically with what's been happening in the school system and, even though the book is almost 10 years old, these issues are even more relevant today.

Eco-facts & Eco-fiction; Understanding the Environmental Debate: this one looks like it might be some dry reading, but from what I've seen so far, it takes a hard look at some of the many things we're being told to accept as truth, and points out how some of the "eco-friendly" things we are being sold on may actually be more damaging than what they are intended to replace. Having just read an article today about the unexpected problems with smart-cars (the batteries contain toxic heavy metals and hazardous material that can lead to problems when they need replacing), I though it timely.

Hoodwinking the Nation: a direct challenge by the author to the doom and gloom set, and the current belief that things are basically going to hell in a handbasket, even though our life expectancies are higher, health has steadily improved, as well as survival rates increasing for things that would've killed us even just a generation ago, and the environment is actually improving (cleaner water, less pollution).

Now for the kids' choices...

Lace Fans: designing and making lace fans, with a lovely inspirational gallery of photos.

Findings & Finishings; A Beadwork How-to Book: some beautiful ideas in here!

Wonderful Wire & Bead Crafts: oooohhh.... I'm going to have to go through this one myself! Some wonderful projects in here!

The Art of Parchment Craft: I've never worked with parchment paper before. Looks interesting. A new hobby in the making? (like we need another one...)

The Bead Maker; Projects for creating hand crafted beads: Youngest has discovered the joys of making beads from polymer clay. Now she's all excited about trying some of the ideas in here, too.

Beaded Ornaments; Creating New Looks for Clothes & Accessories: some very nice ideas to turn ordinary clothing into works of art!

Beading for the First Time: Eldest grabbed this one for her sister. Youngest has been watching me and her sister making things and wants to try her hand at it, too.

We're going to have to buy more beads again.

A Guide to Quilling Flowers: quilling is something Eldest spotted in a general paper crafts book I'd borrowed some time ago. She tried a few of the techniques and now wants to learn more.

Wow. Done. Finally!

Oh, wait - I forgot these were still in the bag...

Beading: from The Portable Crafter series, this tiny book has a lot of great ideas.

Brother Cadfael; Pilgrim of Hate (vhs): we just have to have at least one Brother Cadfael movie!

On cd

Cafe Fuego; Music to Set Your Soul on Fire (South/Central American music)
Franz Liszt (piano - played on Liszt's own piano by Dag Achatz)
Australian Rhythms; an Album Evolved over Thousands of Years (blend of traditional and contemporary music)

Ok. Now I'm done.

No comments: