For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

First skirt

Today, I helped Eldest sew her first clothing item, a simple skirt. She likes really long skirts.





The cat has a thing for fabric being cut. She has to get right in there! *L*







Next, a bit of time on Brother Cadfael, Eldest's sewing machine.









Then the finished skirt - and more cat. ;-) The pattern was for slits on the sides, which Eldest didn't want, but we'll probably have to put them in after all so that she's got more freedom of movement.

Not to bad for her first clothing item. :-D

3 comments:

The Travelers Journal said...

Beautiful! Very well done. I wish I would have learned to sew. I once had a machine thinking I would learn and bought a pattern for an outfit for my one year old niece and all the material. Well, my niece just turned 21 this year and I sold the machine years ago because of space when we moved in here 20 years ago.

Just think of all the clothes you could make!

Tell Eldest is looks wonderful and very comfortable.

Kunoichi said...

*L* I can't imagine not having a sewing machine for that long! Are you saying you never use that pattern and fabric at all?? Wow!

Learning to sew was one of two things I learned in school that I found really valuable. (The other thing was learning to type.) I didn't use my machine often, so I didn't think leaving it behind when we moved would be a problem. Before long, I was missing it.

I haven't made clothes for myself in years - the cost of fabrics and notions are often just as expensive as buying the finished clothes in a store, if not more so. Especially for the larger sizes. Still, I know enough to teach the kids the basics, and with the styles for girls clothes these days, I think Eldest is going to be using her machine a lot more than I ever used mine!

The Travelers Journal said...

No, I never did use the pattern or fabric. I sold it in a garage sale years later. I never learned to sew; only what I picked up myself. I love crafts and embroidering, but was not much of a sewer. Mostly hemming and taking in my brother in-law’s pants when he lost weight :)