For my regular visitors, if you find that this blog hasn't been updating much lately, chances are pretty good I've been spending my writing energy on my companion blog. Feel free to pop over to Moving On, and see what else has been going on.

Monday, September 10, 2007

HUH?!?

I caught this very brief article in one of the Sun media papers...

Cosby announced last week that his animated series, Little Bill, which aims at getting preschoolers interested in learning...

Say what??? Since when are preschoolers NOT interested in learning? I always got the impression that preschoolers are voraciously interested in learning (as anyone who's lived through the "why" phase can attest).

Am I missing something? Have kids ages 4 and under changed while I wasn't looking?

I don't get it.

4 comments:

The Travelers Journal said...

Funny isn't it! I can't imagine kids have changed that much in the last 10 years ;)

They keep wanting children younger and younger in the school system. They don't think parents are capable.

Kunoichi said...

You're right about that.

One of the blogs I visit regularly, Choice for Childcare (link's in my sidebar) has been posting articles about childcare issues that show it's happening.

Funny, it was years ago, when we first started hs'ing, that I heard "old timers" predicting that the state will be doing more and more to get children away from parents at ever younger age. As I see how early formal schooling is being encouraged, and parents "encouraged" to send their kids to early childhood programs and daycare - all for the good of the children, of course - I see their predictions coming true.

piscesgrrl said...

Hi there, I surfed in from the Unschooling Blogs ring! This post caught my eye, especially since my oldest always-unschooled son just went to high school and in two shorts weeks has already gotten a huge wake-up call that he now gets to have no opinion and needs to learn to kiss *ss and jump through hoops, and then we hear how adults think kids are so disaffected and apathetic and we think, well duh! *sigh*


When I hear about mandatory pre-school and such I get all riled up and think, "You get away from those kids!"

Kunoichi said...

Hi, Laura. Thanks for visiting. :-)

I totally hear what you're saying! It always gets to me when I overheard kids talking about school. Things sure have changed from my day. :-(